We are hiring!
Nautiluz is seeking a
Primary Educator / Learning Guide
Are you passionate about working with 6-11 year olds? Do you feel ready to transform yourself from a teacher into a Learning Guide? You love the outdoors and get excited at the thought of working with kids in an outdoor learning environment all year around? Are you ready for this wild adventure? Then, this may be the role for you ...
Nautiluz is seeking a multi-talented Learning Guide to co-create and implement our primary age program.
Nautiluz mission is to build and promote learning ecosystems driven by a regenerative life-long learning paradigm. We are creating a new learning model that aims to keep the sense of joy, passion and purpose alive in our learner community, while enabling them to embrace all the seasons and cycles in their lives.
You will play a vital role as a learning guide. Your involvement will be instrumental in growing and implementing our vision for primary years learning. This is a full-time position, where you can expect to spend 5 or 6 hours a day facilitating the learning of a group of 12-15 learners, and 2 or 3 hours a day planning and preparing, documenting and evaluating, mentoring apprentice educators and/or working with the other educators.
This is not a traditional teaching position. Our learning guides co-design passion projects and learning experiences, provide one-on-one learner mentoring, and collaborate with subject specialists to craft a purpose-inspired, experiential and community-engaged learning experience for all our learners. Our pedagogical focus is to give students opportunities to develop key skills and attitudes, such as internal motivation, critical thinking, and collaboration skills. We integrate curriculum to build key
understandings about how our world works and what we can do to leave it more healthy than we found it.
We are looking for someone who is collaborative, communicates well, understands the importance of strong personal relationships and who thrives in an innovative and ever-changing outdoor environment.
In your role, you will:
● Act as a guide, mentor, facilitator, curator, motivator and whatever else our learners need us to be for them.
● Collaborate with a cross-functional, bi-lingual team that develops engaging, effective learning experiences.
● Curate a bi-lingual learning community that ensures the personal and social, physical and mental health and safety of the young people under your care.
● Facilitate the development of executive functioning skills, highly effective communication skills, courage, compassion and creativity in young people.
● Collaboratively design and participate in planning and review sessions for learning guides, apprentices and subject specialists who work with our learners.
● Engage in parent communication and presentations.
● Co-develop systems for progress monitoring, authentic assessment, and learning
● Stay current with trends, innovations and research in learning science,
instructional media and learner behavior.
● Uphold Nautiluz regenerative foundational values and principles at all times.
● 5+ years experience working with 6-11 year olds, most of which is in innovative learning environments.
● Qualified Teacher or a Bachelor's degree in Education (international experience is preferred).
● English fluency (C2) is a must, native or fluent Portuguese will be an absolute plus.
● Experience in developing and implementing learning experiences from ideation through implementation and analysis.
● Experience with non-neurotypical, culturally diverse, and EAL and multilingual populations is prefered.
● An ability to establish strong, positive relationships with young people and their parents.
● Experience in supporting primary age learners: guiding, facilitating, mentoring, counseling, tutoring, etc. At the core of all of these is the capacity to build strong, positive relationships, and to identify what role you need to play for each learner.
● Capacity to draw from a wide variety of learning methodologies and apply them appropriately based on the context and the learners.
● Ability to work collaboratively and creatively in a changing environment.
● An openness to having your ideas respectfully challenged, and to spending time
on the edge of your comfort zone.
● Willingness to learn from failure, ask for help when you need it, embracing an
● Willingness and ability to work in an outdoor learning environment all year round.
If you are ready for your next challenge, please apply with:
your CV and/or portfolio,
a brief letter (no more than one typed page) that outlines your vision for a day in
the life of a learner in Nautiluz's primary program,
a short 1 minute video that introduces you, your interest in the position and your
passion as an educator.
Please send your complete application to firstname.lastname@example.org.